Your Spiritual Gift? Be Yourself and Serve!
I especially appreciated this sentence: “Understanding our strengths helps us determine how to do this most effectively, but our goal is the service of others and the glory of God – not our personal sense of accomplishment.”
I confess to have had this very same thought about spiritual gifts before. I have no idea how many of these tests I have taken before. Almost every time, I end up with a different “Top 3 Gifts.” Anybody ever been there?
A few years ago, I preached through 1 Corinthians 12-14. After preaching through these chapters, I put together a 5-step guide to determining your spiritual gifts. Here they are:
1. Ask God to reveal to you what your spiritual gift is.
2. Evaluate the church where you are a member and determine, in your opinion, what areas are lacking.
3. Evaluate your own soul and ask, ‘what is my passion as for as it relates to the glory of Jesus and making Him known?’
4. Begin to serve immediately in various capacities to see if blessing comes from it (blessings for you and for others).
5. Ask the Lord to interweave it all together for the good of the church, the joy of your soul, and the glory of His name.
What else have you found to be helpful?